Wednesday 4 November 2015

TOMB3 Month 1 finale

Well that was quick.

Month 1 is now over, and I managed to get the full $60 painted. This is just a placeholder blog though, as tomorrow I'm going to play some more games with the first lot. I'll let you know how it goes, and get some photos to make this blog post better.

See you then.

And... we're back!

Last week saw an evening of all out Malifaux hosted by Lee Walstow. Myself and 2 other locals headed to Casa De Lee with 20 points of models ready for a henchman hardcore tournament. While most of these in the UK are run at 20 mins per game, we don't play as much as some others so we decided to go for the official 30 min games. I decided to take exactly the same as last time. Kang, Dawn Serpent and 2 Rail Workers. Kang was really good last time, and while not every enemy model would be a construct like last time, I was hoping he would hold his own.



First game was against Nick. While I have never played Nick before, I have admired his guild models in passing. I was looking forward to testing myself against him, and his crew would also include some firsts to play against. He brought The Judge, Santiago Ortega, Papa Loco and an Austringer. All of these models have their uses, although I was surprised not to see Francisco in there. It was a tough match up, with a few things forgotten on both sides that evened out in the end. I'm very concerned by just how much damage output the guild has at its disposal. Having hard to kill on everything was really handy, and I think looking into some healing for future guild matchups would be a good way to go.


I can't remember how the first game finished, but I believe it was a draw. My second game ended up against Lee, who after last time had decided not to run his TOMB crew. This decision was helped of course by the fact that he couldn't actually field 20pts viably, as he was no longer including the brutal effigy in his first month's purchase. Instead he used some other neverborn, mostly painted by me. Except he also took Nekhima.

 What a horrible list. I lost, due to some opportune pushes that meant my lovely rail crew didn't get to stay in the middle. I had also concentrated on killing Nekhima, when I should have fed her something to hold her up and tried to get some assassinate points from Candy. Still, the crew was very resilient, and I learned a lot about how to play the healing/damage prevention game with Kang. If I needed to play this crew in future, I might think about trying to scrape together an extra stone to put into recalled training on Kang. That thing that gives him riposte looks pretty tasty too. Just a little something extra that would allow him to reliably kill a model in 1 activation.

With a loss and a draw, and only one opponent left, it was back to the other table to face Stan and his Ressers:
Stan is an avid collector, both of models, and painters. Every crew he owns is immaculately painted, and this, along with his good natured manner make him a great opponent to sit opposite. I was extra excited this time, as his crew was entirely Undead, meaning Kang would be in his element. Not entirely in his element of course, as a lot of ressers have hard to wound anyway, but at least it would even the odds, and make cheating more likely. Once again, I was playing a lot of models I'd never faced before, so it was an interesting experience. However, a combination of Kang's aura, good cards and Stan overextending his punk zombie meant I was able to wipe out his crew by the end of turn 3. Unfortunately, good fortune in a game doesn't make it the best for learning. I'm not sure I could say what I would do differently from what I did.

At the end of the evening, a quick addition put Lee as the champion, having won 2 and drawn 1. We discussed at length the buildup of his crew, and around the jibes, decided that it was probably one of the nastiest setups a Neverborn player could bring. How would I improve my crew to compete? No idea. I don't know enough about Ten Thunders yet. I know what I'd do in Arcanists of course, but that's not what I'm up to at the moment. For now, its Thunders or bust, and I still have a lot to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment